Thursday, April 06, 2006

Game 1: Dodgers vs Atlanta Braves 10:11

Season Opener at Chavez Ravine!!

Even though we lost in the end, I am very optimistic about how this can turn into a prolonged "it's not over until it's over" attitute for the team. Having been outscored and outhit badly through 4 and a half innings, Dodgers did put together a rally and almost pull it off at the end. I hope this is a good sign for this year's team. I wonder how the 2005 Dodgers would react to seven run deficit half-way through ;). Yesterday they showed heart and resilience and should be applauded for making it a ballgame.

Couple of thoughts and questions:

(1) Was it me or was Lowe hurrying his delivery in the first two innings? Seemed like he took very little time on the mound and kept his windup very compact. Could it be because of the weather?

(2) I certainly love what the top of our lineup yesterday showed: Furcal and Cruz jr went combined 7-for-11 with 6 runs scored and a walk. While I believe Rafael will keep it up thoughout the season, it was nice to see Cruz jr so focused and making good contact. Hope that ability stays with him for longer streches of time.

(3) I was anxious to see Nomar in a Doger uniform, but he was a late scratch and during the game I read somewhere that Grady Little and the management thought about placing him on the DL. His replacement, Olmedo Saenz went only 1-for-6, with 2 RBI but also 7 men stranded. Will they call up Loney straight away?

(4) Hong-Chih Kuo [pictured on the left, photo: epochtimes] finally proved he was human ;). Now that he gets the money off his back, I think he will be serviceable.

(5) It was strange to me to see an Opening Day in LA covered in mist on a very cloudy day. Perhaps my understanding was you only had sunny days throughout the year in SoCal? ;)

(6) Tonight it's Brad Penny vs John Smoltz. How is Penny's curveball lately? Has he regained most of it? If so, we can be in for another close game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home